Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What Will Represent YOU?

Sometimes you don't have to search the web, to find what you are looking for. Sometimes, it is delivered to your inbox.


I'm not real experienced in writing blogs, don't know if I understand the concept. However, when trying to complete my HW assignment I was taken aback by the email I received telling of a poet Gabrielle Bouliane, passing away from cancer. So I thought I'd write briefly about my feelings regarding the matter as well as the increase of Internet recognition for her.

Although I didn't know Gabrielle personally, I was moved by the love that people in the poetry community have for her. She did not have her own website that I know of; however, I believe that all the blogs, post, comments, etc. do a wonderful job of representing who she was and how she will be remembered.

Ironically, when this email was sent, I was attending my Aunt Gertrude’s funeral in Philly. Both Gabrielle, and my Aunt Gertrude passed away from cancer; even so, they found out how to live, even when death was apparent. Quite like Gabrielle, my Aunt touched the lives of many and their memories represent her and her “work.” In light of their deaths, I must ask a few questions. (Even to myself) What will our life search turn up? Will the people whose path we cross do “a particularly good job of representing us and our work?”

I understand the importance of a web presence, but what if you’re represented well online, but the memories you have created in this life are refundable?


You don’t have to search the world to find life, you just have to live.

Please take a look at the following pages that have Gabrielle Bouliane’s poetry, video, or tributes on them. Feel free to also conduct your own Internet search.

http://www.livepoets.com/poet.aspx?id=14

indiefeed_gabriellebouliane_lifesentence.mp3

http://theaccidentalnovelist.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/for-gabrielle-bouliane-1966-2010/

http://www.mikemcgee.net/?p=669

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful epitaph to an unknown poet...you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete