Monday, April 12, 2010

I Won't Own You! (Editorial Style Edition)

Ingrained in most men is the desire to be providers and protectors. When a woman takes this from a man, even in a brief moment, the equilibrium of the universe is thrown off. Men begin to wonder, am I a really a man? Quite like the lions and tigers in the zoo, they get confused because they are forced into an “environment” that they (men, lions, and tigers) are not use to.

But indeed, as years have gone and come, times have also changed. It is no longer a statement of independence, but one women recognize as not being indebted to anyone. Although many men and woman look at the dating process as an investment, there are some who can only identify giving with receiving. Thus, protective nature is created for both men and women.


It wasn’t until out on a date with a potential, that I found out I was slowly falling into an independent role, as well as one that didn’t want to owe anyone. So as I offered to pay for the movies, he looked perplexed and said “it's twenty dollars, I won’t own you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment